The Droemling is situated in a trough-shaped section of the Saale River Ice Age glacial valley stretching from Wroclaw to Bremen. Towards the end of the Pleistocene about 10,000 years ago, the area began to swamp. By 1750, the Droemling was probably dominated by black alder and moor birch as well as reed and reed beds. Today's landscape originates from the last third of the 18th century, after King Friedrich II of Prussia issued the order to drain and cultivate the Droemling in 1770. Subsequently, the Ohre creek was developed as the main watercourse and a large number of drainage ditches was built. Characteristic for this area is the “Rimpau Bog Soil-Cover Cultivation” named after its creator, the lord of the manor Theodor Hermann Rimpau (1822-1888), with a still visible closely meshed network of so-called bog soil-covers.
Home » The Droemling »